Thursday, January 7, 2010

Potty Training


So, my little girl would probably kill me if she knew I put this on here (Brian probably would too) but Ryah is getting so big and growing up so fast. She has shown signs of being interested in potty training and seems to be interested in going in the potty but every time I put her on the pot to go, she just sits there, hangs out, and doesnt go, and then I put her diaper back on and she goes in it instead. I got a few good suggestions from friends to give her candy when she goes, get a singing toilet so it sings when she goes, make a big deal when she goes, but those are all "after she goes" tips, I need tips on getting her to go in the first place. One friend of mine mentioned to get a potty watch that goes off every 30 mins and when it goes off, its time to go sit on the potty. I will try that and see how that goes and if it works, Steve, you are a genius! Anyway, wish me luck, I don't know if an 18 month old can be potty trained but its worth a try. However, does anyone know if it is bad to start too soon, if that would cause them to rebel or anything that would cause them to not be trained as well/soon/young/fast/ effectively?

5 comments:

Connie said...

I don't think there is a right/wrong time to start potty training, each child is different and what works for one may not work for another one.
I started my oldest son when he was eighteen months old and my in-laws told me he was way too young. In some ways, they were right, but I was babysitting my 2 year old nephew at the time and my son would want to go everytime he did, so that is how we got started. The only thing was, Chad did not want to wear diapers after that even though he had several accidents. He would say, Chaddy big boy wear "looms" like Daddy. Do you know how hard it is to find little boy underwear for a small child?! LOL He had accidents for a long time but refused to be a "baby with diapers".
My second son was completely potty trained and dry at night within a week's time span.
My daughter was the hardest to train, maybe because she had a stubborn streak... But it still didn't take too long.
Do what you feel comfortable with and all will be okay.
Good luck!

Brooke and Brian said...

Thanks Connie, we will see how it goes! =)

Stephanie said...

Adree potty trained at 19 months and I could have done it at 17 if I wouldn't have been having a baby a month later (I was lazy and didn't want to deal with it). Totally go with it. Patton also potty trained a week after he turned 2 ALL ON HIS OWN and I think my "way" could have a lot to do with it... I just start them out when ever they start acting interested with wearing big boy/big girl underwear when ever they want. I get the thick WHITE (no fun colors) underwear- I have some if you want to borrow them :) They have been bleached! Most of the time they do have accidents (Patton never had a single accident after the notorious day of "I don't want to wear a diaper any more" night and low and behold he was potty trained from there on out!! I think it is a good thing- NO PULL UPS!! for it to drain down their legs and what not so it is uncomfortable and they want it in the toilet instead. DON'T get mad or frustrated and it will be frustrating, just be positive and reinforcing and have lots of "potty" treats (one treat that they don't get any other time- I do gummy bears because they don't have much sugar in one gummy bear but the kids love them all the same) and they will get it really quick, at least mine did :) If you have more questions call because I am sick of typing :)

Connie said...

I agree with Stephanie, don't start out or use pull-ups unless you want to for outings. I have found with watching my little great nieces or nephews that they do not get the whole wetness, yucky feeling with pull-ups as they do with panties, so to them they are not uncomfortable as they are used to diapers also wicking the moisture away.

Stephanie said...

Hey! :) Sorry!! As you can tell this is the first time I have had to sit down and it is... 1:30 am!! I am having a yard sale tomorrow but besides that I am free!! Come by and I will get those panties for you too. I hope you get this. I will text you in the AM too. Good night, well almost!