Friday, August 29, 2008

Quick Question...

What is said (if anything) about putting a child down in her crib crying? Let me explain:

I have a 2 month old and she is on a schedule. Some of you are opposed to scheduling nursing babies, but it's the only thing that has kept me sane while having a baby. Anyway, she eats every 2.5 hours starting at 6:30, then 9, then 11:30, etc all the way until I feed her one final time at 9:30. Well, I have moved her up from 9:30, to 9:15 to 9:10 and now I feed her at 9 and then put her down at 9:30. Then she sleeps until 6:30 in the morning. Which is awesome by the way! =) Anyway, so I usually try to put her down content so she does not associate bed time with crying. But sometimes I put her down crying because she is so tired she just wants to go to sleep and crying is her way of telling mama "put me down already, I'm freaking tired!" so she cries until I put her down. Then she calms down and goes right to sleep. So, what do ya'll think? Should I wait until she has stopped crying to put her down. I don't mean put her down asleep, (have her fall asleep in my arms and then lay her down), and I don't mean not let her cry herself to sleep, I just mean the initial 'laying her down' crying...is that bad? Or it doesn't really matter as long as she is put down awake.

Let me know what you all think. And then enjoy this video...

6 comments:

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

I say, if she's tired, put her down! She doesn't always have to be put down awake, as long as she's not always put down asleep. If she usually goes down awake and content, and occasionally goes down asleep already or crying, she's fine. Especially if she cries only until you lay her down and then quickly falls asleep. Her crying is just because she's tired. Make sense?? That's my opinion, anyway. Take it how you want!

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

By the way... I didn't see a video.

Unknown said...

Haha, I know. The video didn't download ever so I just didn't put it on.

Stephanie said...

I agree with Ashleigh! Put that poor tired baby down! There are times when Adree is so mad and screaming at me that I put her in her bed until she calms down (now this is a tantrum and she is still too little to send to a "naughty spot" but still the same place she goes to sleep for both naps and bed time.) Later on when putting her to bed IN THE SAME BED and she doesn't make a sound and just goes to sleep. I think babies, toddlers, and kids all want to be left alone sometimes just like the rest of us. And you are definitely on the right track with putting her down awake! At least I think it is very important for babies growing into little people, need to be able to soothe them selves to sleep. Great job on the sleeping through the night at 2 months too! That is the way my babies are and it is fabulous!

Unknown said...

Thanks, I am proud of my baby girl. She is definitely a good baby.

Jones Family said...

That is definitely your call. Everyone has opinions and if there is one thing I learned with Kingston, it's that mom really always knows best because not every baby is the same. I never let Kingston cry at a really young age when he went to bed. I waited until he was at least 9 months old and he finally learned to sleep by me letting him cry it out. If you know she is tired, and letting her cry when you put her down works, then I say do it!